R&D Group for Technology Application of Mineral and Coal Mining
Based on its task and function, the group supports all activities related to those groups for mineral and coal beneficiation. Its role includes R&D activities and technological services in mining, mine geo-technology and mine environment sectors to provide contribution in good mining practices. Such a contribution is conducted through:
- compiling mining safety standard such as studies of blasting vibration, mine opening stability, slope landslide handling, etc.;
- applying coal reserve conversion/intensification through mine design application that is appropriate with coal reserve condition such as
mining technology innovation for swamp areas, status improvement of
mine reserve, mine feasibility, mastering in gasification technology of
- compiling quality standard and controlling environment quality such as quality standard for emission gas in ambient air at mine environment, coal
combustion emission, sludge beneficiation for fuel used in Steam Electric
- monitoring mine environment by applying Environmental Management
System to every mine industries.
The group wishes to be a certification institution of Environmental Management System for mine industries as well as conducts action research to solve any problems related to mine activities. To conduct its tasks, the group is divided into three working groups, i.e. Mine Geo-technology, Mine Environment Technology and Mining as well as Groundwater Exploitation Technologies.
Working Group for Mine Geo-technology
As a science and technology that can supports mining techniques for mineral and coal, geo-technology is required notably when mining activities go through underground system. Mine geo-technology focuses its activities on:
- mine geology that includes geological mappings, core drillings and geo-techniques, mine explorations, and reserve evaluations;
- mine geophysics that includes study of reflection and refraction seismic,
geophysics logging and geo-electrical soundings;
- mine geo-techniques and geo-mechanics that includes geo- technique study as well as its simulation;
- mine geo-hydrology that includes groundwater study at mine site, geo-hydrology evaluation as well as model and control simulation for groundwater.
Working Group for Mine Environment Technology
Working Group for Mine Environment Technology supports any policies that deal with energy sector and mine development. Such a development should have environmental concept. The group consists of staffs that come from multidiscipline background such as physics, chemistry and biology as well as socioeconomic cultural and public health.
Working Group for Mining and Groundwater Technology
The group focuses its activities on mining technology studies and application as well as conducts mine equipment engineering. Its staffs retain various expertise such as mine exploration, mine feasibility study, mine design, blast design, mine ventilation, mine occupational safety and health, groundwater exploration and mine drainage
- slope stability study of Pemali open pit at Bangka island (1979 – 1982).
- strata control for underground mine at Ombilin (1984-1986).
- final pit design of limestone quarry for PT Semen Padang (1993).
- slope stability study of underwater area using a dredger at Tobali, Bangka island (1994).
- stability study of Tekom tower at Bukit Asam (1995).
- geo-technique study using Cikidang method for PT Aneka Tambang (1996).
- slope stability study for PT Allied Indo Coal (1997).
- ground water and pumping construction of intake canal at Paiton I (1997).
- slope stability study of footwall area for PT Karbindo (1998).
- slope stability study and pit design of open pit coal mine at Bontang(1998).
- determination of ROW – pipe line at the bottom of the sea for sea sand mine.
- study of heavy metal and trace element mobilization at gold mine.
- compiling environmental impact analyses (EIA), environmental management effort (EME) and environmental monitoring effort (EME).
- former- mine site re-construction of industrial mineral.
- study of acid mine drainage,
- water, soil and air quality monitoring and management at gold mine and peat beneficiation area.
- coal exploration at East, South and Central Kalimantan.
- feasibility study of coal and various industrial mineral mines.
- mine design for coal and other mineral commodities.
- transportation monitoring system and heavy equipment maintenance for andesite quarry at Bogor and Tanjung Enim (PTBA).
- simulation and modeling for flow pattern of groundwater.
- geo-technique study.
- geophysics exploration.
- geological mapping.
- environmental problem solving for acid mine drainage, coal seam fire, post mining environmental damage, erosion and sedimentation controls etc.
- environmental monitoring and management related to biochemistry-
physics and sociocultural aspects.
- technical consultation services for environmental impact analyses (EIA),
environmental management effort (EME) and environmental monitoring effort (EME), post mine study and environmental audit.
- local community development.
- ER Mapper and GIS applications.
- mine design.
- mine feasibility study.
- performance study of mining equipment and system.
- study of risky gases within mine,
- mine ventilation design.
- core and groundwater drilling.
- mine operation management.
- PT Berau Coal, PT Bukit Asam:
- mercury distribution study at traditional mines (North Celebes, WestJava, Lampung, central and East Kalimantan).
- PT Prima Lirang dan PT Kelian Equatorial Mining:
- environmental audit deals with mine closure.
- PT Semen Gresik, PT Semen Cibinong, PT Indocement Palimanan:
- vibration impact study at limestone quarry after blasting period.
- PT Semen Tonasa:
- transportation performance development at limestone quarry.
- PT Aneka Tambang Pongkor+, PT Bukit Asam Ombilin, PT Fajar Bumi Sakti:
- network evaluation of underground ventilation
- Bandung Institute of Technology, Hasanudin University, Bandung Islamic
University, Trisakti University:
- improving capabilities of post-graduate faculties and students in geo-technique discipline.
- Local government of West, Central and East Java and Bali
- policy formulation in mining sector at local autonomy era.
Coordinator of Group for Technology Application of Mineral and Coal Mining
Phone: (022) 60303375. Fax: (022) 6038028